What is knee arthroscopy?
Knee arthroscopy is a surgical procedure that is carried out through two small (~1/4 inch) incisions to address various types of pathology in the knee, including: meniscus tear, surface cartilage tear, ligament tear, and arthritis.
What is the typical timeframe for recovery from knee arthroscopy?
It is important to realize that the speed of recovery depends largely on the extent and type of damage along with other patient related factors. Generally speaking, though, the majority of patients can expect to:
- Go home the day of surgery
- Resume normal daily household activities within 1 – 2 days
- Take prescription pain medication for 2 – 3 days
- Return to a desk-job with intermittent walking at 7 – 10 days
- Drive a car at 7 – 10 days
- Walk unassisted and without a limp by 2 – 3 weeks
- Start running at 4 – 6 weeks
- Return to unrestricted sports participation or a labor-intensive occupation at 6 weeks
How successful is knee arthroscopy?
The vast majority of scientific studies have produced good to excellent outcomes in 90 – 95% of appropriately selected patients undergoing knee arthroscopy; with some studies reporting lasting benefits for up to 10 years post-operatively. However, the reproducibility of these results is dependent on many factors.
Am I a good candidate for knee arthroscopy?
Whether knee arthroscopy is a worthwhile option for you depends on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your particular diagnosis or pattern of injury
- The extent of arthritis or cartilage damage
In general, the outcomes of knee arthroscopy are best in patients < 40 years of age with minimal arthritis. Dr. Garabekyan will guide you through the various considerations in helping you decide whether knee arthroscopy is right for you.
Choosing the treatment option that is right for you involves careful consideration of your diagnosis, duration and severity of symptoms, desired level of activity, as well as social and financial elements. You are not alone in this process.
As you research your condition, please write down all of your questions and bring them with you to your next appointment. Dr. Garabekyan and his team will take time to address all of your concerns, until you are completely satisfied with your treatment plan.
We look forward to helping you get your life back.